of children: systematic review and meta-analysis of controlled trials with objectively measured outcomes. British Med. J., 2012. 2(3):4567-4569.
2. Kuczmarski RJ, Ogden CL, Guo SS, Grummer-Strawn LM, Flegal KM, Mei Z, et al. 2000 CDC Growth Charts for the United States: Methods and development. Vital Health Stat 11. 2002, 1-190.
3. World Health Organization: Childhood overweight and obesity on the rise: Global Strategy on Diet, Physical Activity and Health. 2018
4. Chukwunonso ECCE . Child and adolescent obesity in Nigeria: A narrative review of prevalence data from three decades (1983-2013). J of Obesity and Metabolic Research, 2014.1(3): 171-9
5. Norfazlah A, Samia IMA, Azmawati MN, Mohd RH, Hasanaian FG . Abdominal Obesity Indicators: Waist Circumference or Waist-to-hip Ratio in Malaysian Adults Population . Int. J of Prev.Med.,2016. 7:82
6. Geneva:World Health Organization .World Health Organization (WHO). Waist Circumference and Waist-Hip Ratio. Report of WHO Expert Consultation 2008.
7. Qiao Q, Nyamdorj R. Is the association of type II diabetes with waist circumference or waist to hip ratio stronger than that with body mass index? Eur. J. of Clin. Nut., 2010. 64:30–34.
8. Shalom NC, Okwuchukwu KE, Opeyemi CE. Trends in Weight Abnormality of School Children and Adolescents in Nigeria. Journal of Medical Sciences,2012. 12: 239-243
9. Chen MY, Chou CC, Yang RJ. Considering the factors of gender and body weight in the promotion of healthy behavior among adolescents. J Nurs Res. 2005; 13(3):235-43
10. Jaja T, Alex B. (2016).Prevalence of overall and central obesity among adolescent girls in Port Harcourt: a comparison of different methods. Nig. J. Paediatric. 43(3):209-214.
11. International Obesity Task Force. Demands action on childhood obesity crisis.[Cited 2011Jan27];Availablefrom:http://www.chw.edu.au/prof/services/chism/iotf_press_release.pdf.
12. Adedayo OS and Ebenezer OO . Prevalence of obesity among adolescents in Ile-Ife, Osun state, Nigeria using body mass index and waist hip ratio: A comparative study.Nig.Med.J.,2013.54(5):153-6.
13. Senbanjo IO, Oshikoya KA. Obesity and blood pressure levels of adolescents in Abeokuta, Nigeria. Cardiovasc J Afr 2012;23:260-4.
14. WHO, Multicentre Growth Reference Study Group. WHO Child Growth Standards based on length/height, weight and age. Acta Paediatr Suppl 2006;450:76-85.
15. Olubusola EJ, Chidozie EM, Damilola YA, Adaobi MO, Chinonye ON. Obesity in Nigeria children and adolescents-waist circumference a more sensitive indicator .Int. J of Community Med.and Pub. Health, 2016. 3(3):721-729
16. Bjelland M, Berge IH, Gredeland M, Anderson SA, Klepp KI, Ommundsen Y, Andersen LF. Overweight and waist circumference among Norwegian 11-year-olds and associations with reported parental overweight and waist circumference: The HEIA study. Scand. J of Public Health ,2010. 38(5): 19-27.
17. Sowers JR. Obesity as a cardiovascular risk factor. Am J Med. 2003;115( 8):37–41
18. Klein S, Allison DB, Heymsfield SB, Kelley DE, Leibel RL, Nonas C, et al. Waist circumference and cardiometabolic risk: a consensus statement from shaping america’s health: association for weight management and obesity prevention; NAASO, the Obesity Society; the American Society for Nutrition; and the American Diabetes Association. Obesity. 2007;15(5):1061–7
19. Hossain P, Kawar B, El Nahas M. Obesity and diabetes in the developing world–a growing challenge. N Engl J Med. 2007;356(3):213–5.
20. Kowsalya T, Parimalavalli R. Prevalence of overweight /obesity among adolescent girls in Salem District, India . Ind.J of Bio.Research, 2014.7(2):73-77
21. Lake JK, Power C, Cole TJ. Women's reproductive health: The role of body mass index in early and adult life. Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord 1997;21:432-8.
22. Niclasen BV, Petzold MG, Schnohr C. Overweight and obesity at school entry as predictor of overweight in adolescence in an Arctic child population. Eur J Public Health 2007;17:17-20
23. Cláudio BSC, MauroVGB, Annelise LM , Carla MS, Andrea MPA, Fernando JPG. Abdominal obesity in adolescents: prevalence and association with physical activity and eating habits.Arq.Bras.Cardiol.,2010. 94(3)
24. Due P, Damsgaard MT, Rasmussen M, Holstein BE, Wardle J, Merlo J, et al. Socioeconomic position, macroeconomic environment and overweight among adolescents in 35 countries. Int J Obes (Lond) 2009;33:1084-93
25. De Vito E, La Torre G, Langiano E, Berardi D, Ricciardi G. Overweight among Secondary School Children in Central Italy. Euro J Epidemiol. 1999:649–54.
26. Omolola A,Kara Ebersole, Olayemi OO, Bamidele OT,William RB,Kabiru S etal. Relative height and weight among children and adolescents of rural south western Nigeria,Ann Human Biol.2009;36(4):388-399
27. Ben-Bassey UP, Oduwole AO, Ogundipe OO. Prevalence of overweight and obesity in Eti-Osa LGA, Lagos, Nigeria. Obes Rev. 2007;8(6):475-9.
28. Farida Munawar, Ammarah, Sara, Momima, Sadaf Munawar, Madiha Ahmed. Waist Hip Ratio and Body mass index in women of different age groups. Pak J Physiol. 2012;8(1):49–51.
29. Popkin BM. An overview on the nutrition transition and its health implications: the Bellagio meeting. Public Health Nutr. 2002;5(suppl):93–103.
30. Mak KK, Tan SH. Underweight problems in Asian children and adolescents. Eur J Pediatr. 2012;171:779–85.
- Abstract viewed - 33 times
- PDF downloaded - 20 times
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
© EFE JENNIFER JAIYEOBA-OJIGHO, 2019
EFE JENNIFER JAIYEOBA-OJIGHO
delta state university,nigeria
How to Cite
Prevalence of Obesity among adolescents in Asaba, South Southern Nigeria.
Vol 5 No 1 (2019): Volume 5 Number 1
Submitted: Aug 1, 2019
Published: Dec 6, 2019
Obesity which was reported as one of the fastest growing health problems have been linked with non communicable disorders and cardiovascular diseases.